Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Preschool?

It's funny how things happen. Literally the day the girls turned three a switch flipped and Lainey started sleeping through the night and became the one to sleep in. Katie now wakes up crying at night at least twice each week and is up for the day by 7. What a switch! Katie has always been the one by my side, eager to help with whatever chore it is that I am doing while Lainey preferred to play on her own. Now Katie wants to play with her baby doll while Lainey helps me mop floors and decorate for the holidays.
Although we have no one attending Brandon's preschool this year I am still coordinating the holiday carnival, which is their biggest fundraiser and important in that the school is a parent run co-op so the funds are very needed. I enjoy it and it seems easy after my days of managing restaurants. The girls and I have been at the school frequently as the carnival approaches and I was amused to notice they blend in with the students. They suddenly seem so grown up, at least as grown up as a three year old can be, but compared to those teeny newborns we brought home just 36 short months ago they look huge!
Brenda, the school administrator, told me she has an opening in the 2 1/2 - 3 year old class now and will have another in the same class starting in January and wanted to know if we were interested in enrolling the girls at that time. If so, she will hold the current open spot for us. My first thought was no they aren't ready they're too young. After more thought I realize that they are developmentally where Brandon was when he started at 4 and 2 mornings each week would be an excellent time for them to socialize without me. Brian agrees so it looks as though our babies will be school girls in January.
Lainey's reaction was to ask if they got a snack at school and Katie said OK, we go to school but you will need to buy me a backpack and get one for sissy too. I guess they are ready. Now I wonder if I will be...

No comments: