Both Katie and Lainey are cutting two of their 2 yr molars. Given that plus our recent trips up to Akron and that it is hay fever time here in the Ohio River Valley I assumed Katie's low grade fever and runny nose were nothing to worry about. Perhaps a sinus infection at best.
Nothing to be concerned about until she awoke from her nap yesterday with a temp of 104.8. I assumed the thermometer must be wrong, so I took it again. And again. Her temp was 104.8 and the Tylenol I had given her 2 hours before wasn't helping break her fever.
The pediatrician's office told me to take her to the ER. No problem - just had to wake Ava and Luke, change their diapers, install their carseats in the van, put all 5 kids in their seats along with their various cups and snacks and then just drive the 30 minutes to the nearest ER. Lucky for me Brian met me at the hospital along with Ava and Luke's mom so I wasn't alone with the fab five in the ER.
The triage nurse confirmed that Kate did indeed have a 104.8 degree fever. She then gave her a turkey baster full of Motrin. Ok, so it was really a syringe, but I swear if I gave my kid that much Ibuprofen, I'd be arrested for child endangerment. The ER doc ordered a chest Xray which came back clear (after much dramatic screaming from Miss Kate who was still mad about the rectal temp) and the doc told me that my 21 month old was acting just like I would act if I had the same fever. Well, thank you Mr ER Resident. I am aware I would be lethargic if I had the same fever and I am aware that her fever will come down temporarily after consuming a bottle of Motrin. My question was WHY does my toddler have such a temp?!
He didn't want to draw blood or check her urine so although I am not usually one to ask for antibiotics, I did this time and she does seem to be feeling a bit better with the Zithromax. My guess is a UTI because of the low grade fever for the previous week that I attributed to her teeth, plus she cried each time she wet her diaper today. She has a follow up with the pedi on Friday.
Since yesterday was so eventful, I thought perhaps today would be quiet. Tee hee.
The morning started with a bath for Katie after her evening in the ER. Of course Lainey had to join her in the tub. Since the girls had a bath you KNOW Brandon had to take one too even though he had showered last night. While I was dressing the girls, Mr. Big drew himself a bath as he often does. It truly amazes me how quickly the child can flood a bathroom when the tub is only 1/3 filled. As soon as they were all clean and dressed, I had to strip and sunscreen them for Brandon's pre preschool pool party at Avery's house.
Once we arrived at the party Brandon disappeared with his soon-to-be classmates (school starts next week and the party was a great way for the kids to meet one another) and the girls magically grew these tentacles where their arms and legs used to be. I kept trying to put them down so they could play with the other toddlers, but they kept wrapping their tentacles around my arms and waist tighter and tighter. Katie I could totally understand, but Lainey loves to play - and there was a Lego table! - I couldn't believe she wouldn't play Legos! The girls were much more social after lunch was served. Yup, the way to their hearts is definitely through their bellies! Brandon had a great time in the pool and the girls had fun next to the pool with Avery's 2 yr old sister - Lainey. Yup her name is Lainey! They all danced together in front of the bubble machine.
We arrived home at the same moment Tony brought Luke and Ava so the 4 little ones all napped at the same time. The coordinated nap was a really good thing because I suddenly realized school starts next week and omigosh I haven't even looked at Brandon's school clothes - does he even have socks that will stretch over his feet?! Brandon lounged in front of 101 Dalmations and complied with my occasional requests to try stuff on. The good news is he will indeed be clothed when school resumes on Wednesday and his feet will be happily ensconced in his new (size one!) sandals until I remember to buy the child some socks! Hey at least his underwear still fit...
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment