Saturday, January 31, 2009

Catching Up

Wow what a month January has turned out to be. Our baby girls started preschool on January 6. Brian took the morning off to assist in the big drop off. We definitely did a better job in preparing the girls for what their day at school would be like then we did with Brandon (read: we explained more then you'll have fun) they happily played in the big classroom while we chatted with Miss Brenda, but when we said goodbye to the girls they started to cry. I am proud to say we were able to walk away before we got teary!

Of course I called as soon as we got home and Brenda told me Katie had stopped crying almost immediately and was happily coloring. Lainey stopped crying but would ask every couple of minutes about Mommy and Daddy. Apparently after Brenda gave her a little DumDum sucker, they were the best of friends. That doesn't surprise me - Lainey does view the world as a buffet.
They talk about preschool nonstop and count the days down until their next day of class.

I have definitely gone into full nesting mode. All of the closets are organzied, outgrown clothing and toys are listed on eBay (and selling too!), baby equipment has been put together and washed, all the baby clothing and diapers have been washed and put into the nursery. I have even attempted my very first sewing project that required a pattern. I have done plenty of little projects like pillows and costumes that I can eyeball and of course the exciting everyday repairs on clothes and stuffed animals, but never have I attempted a pattern. I admit, the most daunting part of this task was opening up the pattern and figuring out which pieces went with the outfit I had chosen as the pattern made 6 different styles. With Mom's blessing, I cut the bottom off of her wedding dress to make a Baptismal outfit for Baby Harrison.




It took me two weeks since I don't have a sewing machine and had to stitch everything by hand, but I am very happy with how it turned out. The little cross at the neck is the one that I received from a neighbor I drove to the hospital when he was having a heart attack three days after I got my driver's license.

Brandon is doing well in kindergarten and is learning so much. He knows so many sight words now, can count past 100 and sang the Lord's Prayer in it's entirety and in tune the other day. It is so hard not to laugh during the closing rite at Mass because that is the one part he knows verbatim. We have started attending St. Joseph Church in Hamilton instead of Holy Name here in Trenton. St, Joe's is the church associated with Brandon's school and we like the Mass much more.
Brian has completed his second year in pursuit of his master's in Chemistry and is currently enjoying a year off from school. Online science classes just require so much and with a new baby, he decided to take a bit of adjustment time. It's nice to have him back (off of the computer!) in the family room in the evenings.
I have dropped down from 10 babysitting kids to 4 part time kiddos and I have to say it has been a welcome change now that I am 32 weeks along in this pregnancy already. This has definitely been a different pregnancy for me. I'm not sure if it is because I am seven years older then when I was pregnant with Brandon or it it is because I am now chasing three kids around but I have had every pregnancy "symptom" that I have never had before. Maybe Harrison is just going to be a big baby and I'm not old!

No comments: